Products: The Excalibur DOD / AFM Delete Kit
The bold letters stamped on the plastic LS4 engine cover either read Displacement on Demand (DOD) or Active Fuel Management (AFM), depending on the year and model.
Despite the difference in terminology, the cylinder deactivation system referenced is the same. Its almost a cruel joke—GM’s friendly reminder that they spent additional time and resources to integrate a technology proven to fail consistently. Addressing the shortcomings of this engineering flop should be at the top of any enthusiast’s modification list.
DOD or AFM was marketed as a fuel saving strategy implemented on various LS engines across GM’s most popular models. Using a solenoid based lifter manifold, specialty spring-loaded lifters as well as a unique camshaft, the engine control module can deactivate 4 cylinders under light load scenarios. When active, the valves remain closed for the 4 disabled cylinders and the injectors for the respective holes are disabled in an attempt to reduce fuel consumption and increase mileage. The engine operates at 50% of its capacity (essentially acting as a 4 cylinder) while the remaining inactive 4 cylinders are simply along for a rotational ride.
While the system sounds great in theory, it has proven to be extremely problematic. The specialty lifters are prone to failure and create a lack of compression or misfire on the affected cylinder. Unfortunately, servicing the lifters requires the removal of the cylinder heads which can be very labor intensive. LS4 King recognizes that it is not a matter of if the system will fail, but when. As a result we’ve worked with industry partners to develop the most comprehensive DOD / AFM Delete Kit on the market with only top tier or OEM components.
The Excalibur DOD Delete package was created from cumulative years of experience. At LS4 King we recognize how valuable your time can be and we know all too well the frustrations associated with chasing down parts to facilitate a modification or repair. This is why we have painstakingly worked to assemble a collection of parts that includes many of the minuscule components overlooked in other kits on the market. LS4 King has created the perfect balance of quality, longevity and value all while offering a substantial increase in performance.
The Excalibur DOD / AFM Delete package consists of the following components
At the heart of our Excalibur Kit, you will find the camshaft. Much like our customers; no two are the same. Whether you are simply looking for a choppy idle or an aggressive boost in horsepower, LS4 King has a camshaft profile to match your needs. Upon consultation, if you decide that our more popular profiles do not align with your goals, we would be happy to spec a custom grind at no additional charge.
Valvetrain components & hardware:
Valvetrain stability and longevity topped the list of priorities when designing this kit. You will find an assortment of durable and reusable products engineered to last from names you trust.
- Dual .660 Lift Valve Spring Kit
- ARP Reusable Pro Series Cylinder Head Bolts
- ARP Reusable Camshaft Bolts
- ARP Reusable Harmonic Balancer Bolt
- Comp Cams Hi-Tech 5/16 One-Piece Chromoly Pushrods
- Comp Cams Standard Travel Lifter Set
- GM Lifter Trays
- GM Valley Cover & Hardware
- GM High Volume Oil Pump
- GM HD Timing Chain
- Camshaft Retaining Plate & Hardware
Gaskets & seals:
Each kit features a blend of quality gaskets and seals from GM and Mahle.
- MLS Head Gaskets
- Valve Cover Gaskets
- Valve Cover Bolt Grommets
- MLS Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
- Valley Cover Gasket
- Valley Cover O-Ring Seals
- Timing Cover Gasket
- Harmonic Balancer Seal
- Oil Pump Pick Up O-Ring Seal
- Oil Pan Gasket
- Aluminum Water Manifold Gaskets
- Steam Port Plug & Crossover Seals
2007+ model year note:
Starting in 2007, GM made the transition to a 1-Bolt camshaft as well as a new style chain dampener. To facilitate the DOD Delete on 2007 and newer LS4 engines, you will need a replacement 3-bolt camshaft sprocket as well as the LS2 style chain dampener to replace the spring loaded style which is prone to failure.
A note from Brandon:
While disabling DOD / AFM electronically in the tune will prevent the system from activating, this method should NOT be considered a DOD Delete. It is a step in the right direction and should certainly prolong the life expectancy of your engine, however it is not the full solution. Even when disabled, you still have the failure prone mechanical components in your engine which will eventually expire.
- Installation of these components will require a tune. Do NOT try to operate your vehicle after installation without consulting a competent tuner. LS4 King recommends and works exclusively with Joats Premium Performance Tuning. You can contact Joats here.
- Custom Grind Camshafts will result in extended lead times and order fulfillment
- Upgrades such as titanium retainers and head studs available upon request for additional fee
- Customers can expect 50whp increase even when selecting smaller camshaft profiles once tuned
Check out these idle clips of our more popular camshafts:
- Excalibur DOD / AFM Delete Package with Camshaft — 1,750.00
- 2007+ Model Year — add 50.00
To check availability or to place an order, please fill out the form below.